Grove Wood Number Facts Awards
Grove Wood Primary School Number Facts Challenges
Why learn times tables and number facts?
Knowing the times tables and number facts inside out is essential for moving on easily to most other things in mathematics, including division, fractions, decimals, percentages and algebra. Children who know their times tables and number facts will be able to answer questions more quickly and be able to focus on using other maths strategies in more complex problems, rather than being slowed down by the multiplication. Knowing number facts can also increase confidence levels as this part of the question is not a struggle. They also play a vital role in everyday life.
Our number facts challenges
Our Number Facts Award Scheme runs from Years 1-6 to encourage the children to learn their times tables and number facts. The challenge focuses on rewarding children when they are proficient in a number of times tables or number facts. Your child’s class teacher will decide where to start each child on the scheme and your child will have a record card on which they will receive stamps for each test completed successfully. Details are given below.
The awards will be as follows:
· Red: Add 1
· Orange: Subtract 1
· Yellow: Add 10
· Green: Subtract 10
· Blue: Number bond to 10
· Indigo: Number bonds to 20
· Violet: Doubles
Times Tables Awards
· Copper: Multiply and divide by 2, 5 and 10
· Bronze: Multiply and divide by 3, 4 and 8
· Silver: Multiply and divide by 6, 7 and 9
· Gold: Multiply and divide by 11 and 12
Number Facts Awards
· Ruby – x10, 100, 1000; x 10,100, 1000 with decimals; using number facts to times and divide e.g. 30 x 4 =
· Emerald –15x and 20x, 13x and 14x, 16x and 17x, 18x and 19x, tables
· Sapphire – Fractions of numbers, converting between fractions and decimals, percentages of numbers, converting between fractions, decimals and percentages, calculations involving decimals (+-x÷)
· Kryptonite – A mixture of all number facts. Award for each 3 tests successfully completed.
For the Rainbow Award, your child will complete a timed and double timed test. For the other awards (except Sapphire and Kryptonite, which are slightly different) your child will do a timed test, a double time test and a division facts test. They must get full marks to receive a stamp on their record book. Certificates will be awarded for each level reached.
Learning times tables and number facts is valuable and children can learn them in many different ways. On this page you will find links to example questions for each number fact award and links to online games the children can play to practise their number facts, as well as a booklet giving helpful tips and guidance on learning the tables and number facts.
Please click on the links for example questions and support with learning number facts.